Sunday, June 21, 2009

the real day 1

Our first actual day began with breakfast at the hotel, which consisted of cereal (Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes), rolls, and toast. Every breakfast to follow was the exact same the remainder of the trip. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to try anything authentic, but that's alright. Maybe next time!

After breakfast, we drove to the city center of Killarney, where some of our tour rode the jaunting cars. I opted out of this one and instead chose to explore the city. Some friends and I went to St. Mary's Cathedral/The Cathedral of Killarney to photograph. We didn't have much time here because our day was filled. After leaving Killarney, we began our day-long tour of the Ring of Kerry, which was absolutely gorgeous! This is the Ireland that most of us Americans picture when we think of the country. Everything is so green and beautiful. Along the route, we stopped for many photographs. We stopped to see sheep dogs in action, went to the Bog Village (where I tried "Irish Coffee", which is coffee, brown sugar, and Irish whiskey), ate lunch in a small fishing village, took a "paddle" (our tour guide's word for putting your feet in the water, I guess) in the Atlantic Ocean, and ate amazingly creamy soft serve ice cream in the town of Sneem. We ate dinner at Darby O' Gill, our hotel, then went to the pub in the hotel. I was the only one to try an Irish beer, which ended up being very tasty.

St. Mary's Cathedral in Killarney, Ireland

a window in one of the houses of the Bog Village

a panorama I created from the Ring of Kerry

me in the wind at the Ring of Kerry

the Irish countryside along the Atlantic coast (Ring of Kerry)


No comments:

Post a Comment